Monday, October 10, 2005

Giving Thanks

It hit me on the bus ride in to work this Friday: for some reason, I feel especially thankful this year. Maybe it's just that I have a new means for expressing it, or maybe I'm finally becoming mature enough (no, seriously!) to recognize how fortunate I am. In any case, I'm thankful...

...for Canada. There are few, if any, societies that are as peaceful, diverse, and tolerant as this country, and we have much more than our fair share of wealth and opportunity. So, I'm terribly fortunate to have been born here.

...for my job. It's challenging and stimulating, if at times a bit overwhelming. I work with a team of talented people who appreciate my efforts and abilities. IBM, while sprawling and often political, is still an excellent company to work for, progressive and employee-focused, and with an inspiring history. It's easy to take for granted the ability to be out at work, but that's only thanks to the efforts and sacrifice of many.

...for family. Just about anything nice that you could find to say about me, I can trace it back to my parents. They've both been wonderful to me and excellent role models for as long as I can remember. They've taught me so much about love, generosity, compassion, hard work, and pride that I truly cannot thank them enough. And although it seems that Mike and I live in quite different worlds, I'm most appreciative for his efforts to include me in his whenever possible.

...for friends. Since I'm naturally quite introverted, I found it difficult to establish myself socially in Toronto. The first year was especially lonely. But, in the last year or so, it seems like things have really clicked. I've now got a number of wonderful people that I consider friends, supporting me through the tough times and helping to create the great ones. And of course, there are still some great friends back in Vancouver and elsewhere with whom I've been lucky enough to keep in contact.

...for budding love. In the past weeks, one of those friendships has developed into more. We've already shared some wonderful times together, and I don't think I've ever felt happier.

...for good fortune. It's been impossible not to be struck by the amount of suffering in this world of late. I'm thankful that my family, friends and loved ones have thus far been spared.

No comments: